Thursday, February 5, 2015

#edchat

Twitter chats are an entirely new realm for me. I never would have thought Twitter to be a place to hold a large discussion: it seems to lend itself more to one-on-one discussion instead of crowd-based discussion. However, through the use of skilled moderators, the process is a lot easier than I thought it would be.
As a little experiment to myself before diving into one myself, I simply observed Jerry Blumengarten's #edchat at noon and seven pm on Tuesday. I liked the fact that there were two in one day that had different topics: those in Europe after the schoolday is over can join in the chat at noon, and other educators, especially those in the Western United States, can join in the evening. Different topics leads to different discussions, so the same things aren't rehashed later in the day.
Still, I'm sticking to my guns that Twitter is not the best outlet for a large group discussion. So, where is?
The only platform I can think of is Reddit. There, multiple people can respond to a central question or others' replies. the audience themselves can decide what's a worthwhile contribution and upvote it. That being said, Reddit isn't a friendly platform like Twitter - there's a lot of more mature content just a click away.
I'll check back in once I actually participate in a Twitter chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment